qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] QEMU WIN32 Porting Installing W2K

From: Javier Reniz
Subject: [Qemu-devel] QEMU WIN32 Porting Installing W2K
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 07:03:34 -0800 (PST)

Hi List...

I’m a developer/CRM consultor from Colombia (South
America), and I’m quite interested in QEMU project due
to my job requirements.

I always have to switch among a lot of environments on
costumers consultancy, several running Windows 2000
environments and AS400, but most of all W2k, none of
all under W9x….

My company provided me with a DELL Latitude Laptop
(512M RAM, PIII 850 Mhz, running Win XP SP2)

I found QEMU project fits perfectly in my needs, and
I’ve spent like a week trying to install w2k onto QEMU
win32 porting but, it always starts the process,
format the hda hard disk, copy the files, restart and
tries to finish the installation process, but it hangs
up when the progress bar is 100%, even yesterday I
though that was a time thing, and I decided spent all
the night (around 10 hours!) in the installation
process; all the night QEMU was hung up!!!

I probed with the following versions of QEMU Win 32….

QemuInstall-0.6.1-fix.exe (Nov 15)

QemuInstall-20041202-vnc.exe (Dec 2)

QemuInstall-20041213.exe (Dec 13)

I have researched on internet and I found that there
are some problems with that kind of install, however,
no one mentioned my problem, but I’ve made the changes
they suggest and I get the same…...

Even more, I’ve tried BOCHS project, but using it I
can’t reach the installation phase I’ve commented
here.

So that, I’ve got some questions for you...

1.    Do you have any suggestions in order to get W2K
installed and working correctly onto QEMU?
2.    Can you refer me SUCESSFULLY and step-by-step
installations of Win2k under QEMU for windows in Win
XP (or likely)?
3.    Is there a way to emulate an AS 400 System using
QEMU or other software?
4.    Do I need to do some tricks to bypass that w2k
install phase?

Please help me or refer me someone that can help me as
faster as you can…

Thanks in advance. Regards from Colombia.

Javier Reniz
CRM Consultor
Bogota – Colombia
South America