qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] get_func() hangs with gcc 3.4.2 on MinGW and WinXP host

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] get_func() hangs with gcc 3.4.2 on MinGW and WinXP host
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:45:03 -0500

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 03:59:03PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> Witam,
> Dnia Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 03:18:03PM +0100 Johannes Schindelin napisal(a):
>
> > this is the heart of QEmu and Works Here, I think that it's got to do
> > something with the compilation: either gcc 3.4.2, or some compiler flags.
> > Did you try with another gcc version?
>
> Well, I guess that's it. I didn't want to downgrade gcc earlier, but I guess
> I'll have no choice as it works with 3.2.3 and 3.3.1 and only hangs on 3.4.x.
> Thanks for the hint.
>
> t.

This is due to a change in the way gcc compiles code ... 3.4.0 may work,
but later versions will cause functions to return prematurely (due to the way
qemu handles translated blocks). I suggested that a fix for this would be to
use function pointer calls instead of directly chaining machine code, but
apparently this is too slow to make qemu usable.