qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU WIN32 Porting Installing W2K

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU WIN32 Porting Installing W2K
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:15:28 -0500

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 07:03:34AM -0800, Javier Reniz wrote:
> Hi List...
>
> I found QEMU project fits perfectly in my needs, and
> I?ve spent like a week trying to install w2k onto QEMU
> win32 porting but,

IOW, you try a w2k guest on top of a wxp host?

> it always starts the process,
> format the hda hard disk, copy the files, restart and
> tries to finish the installation process, but it hangs
> up when the progress bar is 100%, even yesterday I
> though that was a time thing, and I decided spent all
> the night (around 10 hours!) in the installation
> process; all the night QEMU was hung up!!!
>

> So that, I?ve got some questions for you...
>
> 1.    Do you have any suggestions in order to get W2K
> installed and working correctly onto QEMU?

It depends on what version you use. Win2k with service pack 1 seems to work fine
here. But Win2k sp3 is pretty hard to install.

I use a Linux host tho. 2.4 kernel.

> 3.    Is there a way to emulate an AS 400 System using
> QEMU or other software?

what is AS 400?

> 4.    Do I need to do some tricks to bypass that w2k
> install phase?

Did you close qemu at that point and then restart it (with the same options) ?
Can't guarrentee it will work, but sometimes it seems to help.

For the paranoid, you can use savevm in the qemu monitor before you close it,
and restart it with the -snapshot option. If, say, installation decides to
restart
from the very beginning, you can just quit qemu again (snapshot will prevent
disk from being changed) and then you can use -loadvm option to load the
saved vm state, which will put you back to where you left off.