qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] SMB for DOS ?

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] SMB for DOS ?
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:41:27 +0100

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Fabrice Bellard wrote:

Adrian Smarzewski wrote:

But I would vote for optimizations!

It was just a suggestion for DOS users :-)

x86 on x86 optimization is now the top item on my TODO list...

That's great!

As for SMB: I had this cute idea of implementing a block driver which
simulates a FAT system, but really uses a local directory as backend. If a
block is accessed, the driver transparently maps it to the block of the
file it belongs to, or returns a read/write error if the block is not
associated with a file. This sounds crazy enough that I might try it
soon...

I had also the same idea... and it is already implemented in dosemu (it is only used in the MFS boot process). Implementing it in qemu would be very useful too (and easy given the block devices you already wrote). As in dosemu, it is very important that it can be made bootable (a boot sector must be read from a file or built dynamically).

Fabrice.