qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] get_func() hangs with gcc 3.4.2 on MinGW and WinXP host

From: John R. Hogerhuis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] get_func() hangs with gcc 3.4.2 on MinGW and WinXP host
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 13:07:36 -0800

On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 06:59, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> What do new gcc's do? Why is it impossible to chain the code? Do you have
> an example object file, or even better, an assembly snippet?

The op.c primitives are, well, primitive... at some point consideration
should be given to simply giving up.

That is, code the primitives in native assembler for each target CPU.

Certainly the C compiler is being well leveraged at present to do smart
things like allocating registers, but a decent assembly programmer will
make just as good or better decisions than gcc.

The path of least resistance to get there would be to generate op.s
files (using the necessary version of GCC) for all popular CPUs, and
make them part of the build. Then those could be hand optimized over
time as folks have the spare cycles to do it. This would remove specific
gcc version dependencies from the build with little effort.

Unless that's a GPL violation (distributing generated code under a
non-GPL license)... don't know about that angle. If that were the case,
the only option along this line would be coding from scratch unless GPL
is acceptable for the core. [QEMU uses mixed licensing and I don't have
it straight in my head, sorry.]

-- John.