qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] get_func() hangs with gcc 3.4.2 on MinGW and WinXP host

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] get_func() hangs with gcc 3.4.2 on MinGW and WinXP host
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:57:43 -0500

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 03:25:26PM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004, Jim C. Brown wrote:
>
> > Originally, the op_* functions for qemu were written so that they would
> > have the machine code and then the rets at the very end of the function.
> > qemu could then just chain them together by stripping the rets.
> >
> > gcc now rearranges the generated code around, and reserves the right to
> > stick in extra rets any place it wants, not just the very end, which
> > makes them very hard to strip off.
>
> IIRC there was a flag to gcc to prevent just this.
>
> Ciao,
> Dscho

AFAIK, there was no such flag. Apparently, you can't have such a flag, due to
the redesign of the gcc optimizer.

Of course, that was said to me a while ago ... it may be that someone manged to
nag the gcc team enough to get them to add this flag just for us. If that is so,
we just need to add that flag to the makefiles.