qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Patch: virtual vfat support

From: André Braga
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Patch: virtual vfat support
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:02:26 -0200

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:55:01 +0100 (CET), Johannes Schindelin
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Of course this doesn't work. As D:\ is already the host directory /TEMP/2,
> you would try to change to /TEMP/2/TEMP/2 with this command.
>
> BTW, what exactly do you mean by "another drive" and "partition"? The
> VVFAT driver transparently builds a hard disk image for your host
> directory, which behaves like a drive inside QEmu, having exactly one
> partition with a VFAT file system.

You misunderstood what he meant. On his *host* system, the D drive
holds the temp\2 directory, as in d:\temp\2. QEMU is also installed in
the D drive/partition, so specifying /TEMP/2 goes to the root of the
filesystem in this partition. He couldn't figure out a way to change
to another path in another partition/drive, say, e:\temp\qemu , or
even a CD drive letter: having a virtual VFAT partition built on top
of a CD directory structure would work around having to make a ISO
image of the disk in a considerable number of situations.

I haven't tested your patch yet, so I can't say I figured how to
change drives myself. Maybe \\.\e\temp\qemu as in my example above?
I've seen such UNC convention work in QEMU before (more specifically
the discussions on Japanese Knoppix and QEMU).

--
"The weakest way to solve a problem is just to solve it"
-Alan Kay