qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu port on Windows to support tun/tap

From: Ming-Ching Tiew
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu port on Windows to support tun/tap
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:05:02 +0800

> I started it this way :-
>
> qemu.exe -L .\bios -nics 1  -tap tap0801 -m 8 -boot a -fda linux.img -enable-audio -localtime
>
> Is the name "tap0801" correct ?

OK I got it partially working now. Looks like the name is not the "device driver" name,
but rather, the arbitrary network interface name assigned during the installation,
which is normally it the form of "Local Area Connection x". I renamed and matched it
accordingly, then the above works. I could now ping between the guest OS and
host OS.

But still there are other problems, such as :-

1. If I start up second instance of guest OS, it will not join the network. Looks like
   somewhere there is a limitation on single open.

2. And I can't have multiple network cards within one guest OS using the
   tap devices.

Anyway, I view this as the current limitation of the software. Until changes
made to improving it, I will have to live with this limitation.

Cheers.