qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Re: Firefox crashes inside qemu

From: Lennert Buytenhek
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Re: Firefox crashes inside qemu
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:28:29 +0100

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 12:16:47PM +0500, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> >> There are many different factors in both scenarios besides that one of
> >> them uses qemu and the other one does not: disk size, video card, network
> >> card, etc.

> >> I would just dd it to an old IDE disk, even though that might give issues
> >> with differing head/sector counts.
> >>
> >> dd if=disk.img of=/dev/hdx bs=1024k
> >>
> >> (Where /dev/hdx is the old IDE disk.)
> >
> > I see. The problem is that I don't have any old IDE disk at hand. But I
> > will dd that into VMware tomorrow in order to see if the installation is
> > really bad. As for the geometry, the doc at
> > http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ntfs/files/boot.html is known sufficient
> > for fixing such issues.
>
> After changing the IDE driver to "generic dual-channel" (in order to avoid
> "inaccessible boot device" blue screen) and dd'ing the disk image into
> VMware (using Knoppix and ssh to the host), Firefox doesn't crash. So the
> problem is indeed in qemu.

Does VMware use the same virtual ethernet and video card types as qemu
does?  It might still be that qemu triggers a bug in Windows' handling
of some kind of peripheral that doesn't show up when using VMware.

Do you have any Windows debuggers?  Can you hook Firefox up to a debugger
and see where exactly it crashes?

> I hope this information is useful.

Even though I probably won't be able to debug this myself, this is
definitely a useful datapoint.  Thanks!

cheers,
Lennert