qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Endian and userspace issues

From: anarkhos
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Endian and userspace issues
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 12:37:15 -0800

>However shared libraries tend to have much less cleanly defined interfaces.
>They tend do share data structures, and be much more closely linked. This
>makes adding the translation layer between the two much more difficult, if
>not impossible. It generally requires designing the interface with this in
>mind from the start, and in general can't be retrofitted to existing
>libraries. Shared libraries (aka dlls) share an address space with the main
>application, so tend to be very hard to disentangle from each other.
>
>Paul

I can see your point in that if a non-native app passed an address to a space
of little endian memory to a native DLL which required big-endian memory...but
my suggestion was that everything would be native-endian after one initial
translation.

PS: WINE can insert thunk layers between the app and DLLs or between the DLLs.
It currently does this for debugging purposes (printing arguments and return
values), but could it not convert these values before passing them on?