qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out

From: Horst Schlonz
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 01:27:21 +0100

Am Mittwoch, den 05.01.2005, 16:33 -0500 schrieb Jim C. Brown:
> On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 09:06:31PM +0100, Horst Schlonz wrote:
> > > Show us what is in your /etc/qemu-ifup script.
> > >
> > address@hidden # cat /etc/qemu-ifup
> > #!/bin/sh
> > sudo -p "Password for $0:" /sbin/ifconfig $1 172.20.0.1
> > address@hidden #
>
> Yes, you are missing the iptables lines. (Personally I prefer ipchains to
> iptables, but alas ...)
>
> [script for setting up masquerading snipped]

well, i don't see how masquerading and forwarding will help me in
pinging from guest to host or vice versa. but i did as you say and - as
expected - it does not work. see subject for failure message.

> can you test out that script and see if it works?

actually in the past few days i tried every qemu networking
configuration i could get my hands on. i tried -user-net and vde, i
fiddled with iptables, arp and tcpdump, masquerading, forwarding,
bridging, everything.

after manually filling all arp-caches with correct mac-adresses i can
even see icmp-packet coming out of the guest (with the ususal
WATCHDOG-failure, though). but the icmp-replys never show up in the
guest.

i think, the problem is, that every time network traffic is issued from
or to the guest, it does not work and these failure shows up
in /var/log/messages on the guest:
Jan  5 03:53:14 guest kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out

last hope for me was asking qemu devs on this list, but now i will try
one last thing. ditch the ubuntu-qemu and compile it myself.