qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] rfb patch and mouse movement

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] rfb patch and mouse movement
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:35:09 -0500

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 01:41:09PM +0400, Brad Campbell wrote:
> G'day all,
>
> I'm having a few issues at the moment with mouse
> calibration under Windows XP.

Every OS with mouse support, with the sole exception of ReactOS, has calibration
problems. (At least, those OSes I've managed to test.) Why the mouse is
perfectly calibrated in ReactOS, I have no idea.

> I recall at some point, someone was working on emulating a synaptic
> touchpad to enable non-relative mouse input.

That was me. Turn out to be pointless, as you have the same scaling problem
regardless of whether or not the mouse is in relative or absolute mode.
And if you can fix the scaling problem, it's easier to stick with a PS/2
mouse, code-wise.

> I was having a think. Years
> ago I wrote some windows userspace drivers for touchscreens. MicroTouch and
> ELOTouch from memory. I still have the code around somewhere.
>
> It worked by taking the data from the touchscreen, running it through the
> relevant calibration routines and sending windows absolute mouse movement
> messages. It worked rather well.

What "relevant calibration routines" are we looking at here?

> Perhaps we could use the touchscreen for movement only
> and send clicks over the ps2 interface.

That would require an ugly custom guest driver.

> Just a wildly meandering thought as I struggle to make this session of qemu
> with vnc workable with Windows XP.

Does pressing Ctrl-Alt (or Ctrl-Shift??) to ungrab the mouse, then realiging
the host and guest pointers, and then regrabing the mouse work? This is what I
do w/ my no-sdl patch.