qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] rfb patch and mouse movement

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] rfb patch and mouse movement
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:49:23 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Jim C. Brown wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 01:41:09PM +0400, Brad Campbell wrote:
> > G'day all,
> >
> > I'm having a few issues at the moment with mouse
> > calibration under Windows XP.
>
> Every OS with mouse support, with the sole exception of ReactOS, has
> calibration
> problems. (At least, those OSes I've managed to test.) Why the mouse is
> perfectly calibrated in ReactOS, I have no idea.

I have: ReactOS does not do mouse acceleration, thus one tick from the
mouse always corresponds to one pixel movement on the screen, whereas X11
on Linux normally accelerates the mouse, i.e. one thick means one pixel
movement, but 10 ticks mean 20 pixels.

> That would require an ugly custom guest driver.

Agree. Maybe there's support in some Windows and some Linux versions, but
it is yet another ugly dependency, which is not met by every guest.

> Does pressing Ctrl-Alt (or Ctrl-Shift??) to ungrab the mouse, then realiging
> the host and guest pointers, and then regrabing the mouse work? This is what I
> do w/ my no-sdl patch.

This doesn't work yet with rfb9, because Ctrl-Alt doesn't alter the state,
i.e. the mouse updates are still forwarded after pressing Ctrl-Alt, and
even after a switch to the console or serial.

I want to rework the auto-calibration, but time's sparse. Also, somebody
on the list mentioned that he was working on this himself, but he didn't
answer my emails.

Ciao,
Dscho