qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] rfb patch and mouse movement

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] rfb patch and mouse movement
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:18:25 -0500

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 03:49:23PM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Jim C. Brown wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 01:41:09PM +0400, Brad Campbell wrote:
> > > G'day all,
> > >
> > > I'm having a few issues at the moment with mouse
> > > calibration under Windows XP.
> >
> > Every OS with mouse support, with the sole exception of ReactOS, has
> > calibration
> > problems. (At least, those OSes I've managed to test.) Why the mouse is
> > perfectly calibrated in ReactOS, I have no idea.
>
> I have: ReactOS does not do mouse acceleration, thus one tick from the
> mouse always corresponds to one pixel movement on the screen, whereas X11
> on Linux normally accelerates the mouse, i.e. one thick means one pixel
> movement, but 10 ticks mean 20 pixels.

Then, in theory, if we could tell the guest X11 server to not do acceleration,
the problem would go away?

If so, that would also work for a Windows guest, tho the method of execution
would probably be difficult.

> > Does pressing Ctrl-Alt (or Ctrl-Shift??) to ungrab the mouse, then realiging
> > the host and guest pointers, and then regrabing the mouse work? This is
> > what I
> > do w/ my no-sdl patch.
>
> This doesn't work yet with rfb9, because Ctrl-Alt doesn't alter the state,
> i.e. the mouse updates are still forwarded after pressing Ctrl-Alt, and
> even after a switch to the console or serial.

Is this due to a limitation of VNC (in which case we might say, Ctrl-A Ctrl-A
does the switch), or is it merely due to a lack of support in the code (that
someone else could add easily by adding a few lines of code)?