qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: W2K SP0 Status - mmx build

From: Joe Bogner
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: W2K SP0 Status - mmx build
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:58:11 -0500

I'm just writing to report that with MMX and SSE enabled (  CPUID_MMX
| CPUID_SSE | CPUID_SSE2 ), I was able to install the .NET Framework
2.0 on a Windows 2000 Professional installation running under qemu. It
took a little bit of work though, I first had to extract the files
from dotnetfx.exe and then run the install in silent and automatic
mode.

I had a lot of difficulty installing w2k pro. At first I tried using
w2k pro+sp4 and would receive errors when configuring COM+. It would
never get past the final stage of setup. When I switched to w2k pro
without a service pack, I had better luck. It still took at least
three hours of rebooting and reinstalling before it finally worked.

I seemed to have better luck when I would switch to the admin console
and save my vm. I never had to restore the vm though. Just as another
tip, somehow full-screen mode tends to work better on an install too
(unless I was just seeing things after doing it so many times). I also
seemed to have better luck when I'd move my mouse around in the qemu
window during long-running setup processes.