qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] OT: Running qemu without host os?

From: Peter Karlsson
Subject: [Qemu-devel] OT: Running qemu without host os?
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:10:33 +0100 (MET)

Hi!

I'm toying with the idea of running qemu as a vm from linuxbios and then
boot another os inside the vm (qemu). Qemu would have to virtualise the
hardware but still let the virtual os access hardware via normal hardware
registers, i.e. the os would not know a real computer from a virtualised
one. Is this theoretically possible, or maybe even practically?

One of the reasons for doing something like this would be to snoop windows
driver registers for example reverse engineering of graphics hardware and
maybe wireless network cards. But I can think of several other useful
areas like high-availability, remote management of cluster nodes etc...

Best regards

Peter K

--
We Can Put an End to Word Attachments: