qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] OT: Running qemu without host os?

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] OT: Running qemu without host os?
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:02:02 -0500

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 05:10:33PM +0100, Peter Karlsson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm toying with the idea of running qemu as a vm from linuxbios and then
> boot another os inside the vm (qemu). Qemu would have to virtualise the
> hardware but still let the virtual os access hardware via normal hardware
> registers, i.e. the os would not know a real computer from a virtualised
> one. Is this theoretically possible, or maybe even practically?

>From instead a host OS the virtual (or guest) OS would not know that it is
not a real computer. Emulating from the hardware would make this even harder
to figure out. The part about giving access to the native hardware directly
(instead of access to emulated hardware) is interesting.

> One of the reasons for doing something like this would be to snoop windows
> driver registers for example reverse engineering of graphics hardware and
> maybe wireless network cards. But I can think of several other useful
> areas like high-availability, remote management of cluster nodes etc...

This can still be done in a host OS. The only benefit of using qemu directly is
the factor of speed and RAM usage (you can go faster when you access the bare
metal and you don't have to load up an OS).