qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] OT: Running qemu without host os?

From: Peter Karlsson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] OT: Running qemu without host os?
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 19:03:18 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Jim C. Brown wrote:

> >From instead a host OS the virtual (or guest) OS would not know that it is
> not a real computer. Emulating from the hardware would make this even harder
> to figure out. The part about giving access to the native hardware directly
> (instead of access to emulated hardware) is interesting.

Well, the vm would still have virtualise the hardware wouldn't it? I'm
thinking of it as like a filter which can let everything, nothing and all
in between pass through depending on settings. Think of linux virtual
memory where a process does not know whether it's in real memory or not.

> This can still be done in a host OS. The only benefit of using qemu directly
> is
> the factor of speed and RAM usage (you can go faster when you access the bare
> metal and you don't have to load up an OS).

So if I use linux as a host os and run windows 2000 as a vm would qemu let
windows access for example a radeon 9800xt graphics card via ati's
official windows drivers? I haven't played with qemu yet and don't know
it's capabilities but I doubt that the host os would be happy with a
virtual os taking over the graphics hardware (for instance)...

Best regards

Peter K

--
We Can Put an End to Word Attachments: