qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] amd64 progress

From: Magnus Damm
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] amd64 progress
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 20:37:21 +0100

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 20:01:47 +0100, Filip Navara <address@hidden> wrote:
> I've tried installing the WinXP 64-bit preview under QEMU/x64 on Win32.
> At first I had to add a little hack - hardcoded ACPI table - to enable
> the setup loader to recognize the local APIC. After this the setup
> starts loading the kernel and device drivers, everything works well
> until it tries to jump to the loaded kernel. It crashes fairly quicky
> and ends-up in endless exception loop, because the in-memory kernel
> image is corrupted. The setup loader itself decompressed the image from
> CAB/LZX file stored on a CD-ROM so it's pretty hard to find where's the
> error and I've had no success at debugging it yet. ;-(
>
> (See an example of the image corruption below.)
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions on how to debug it/where the problem
> can be.

A long shot: I recently sent a patch to this list that fixed
installation of win98 from cdrom, the bug was that register DL was
modified during bios calls. The bug only occured when booting from
cdrom. So if you boot from cdrom and use an old bios version I
encourage you to upgrade rombios.c to rev 1.128 and see if that helps.

/ magnus