qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Pecularities with FC3 as target host OS

From: Klaus-J. Wolf
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Pecularities with FC3 as target host OS
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 17:45:21 +0100

Hi,

first I want to say thank you to all of you for giving us a really useful
tool.

You might be interested that there are certain issues on a current FC3/i386 as
host system.

First, it is not possible to use the binary distribution 0.6.1. This one dumps
core immediately.

Then I have tried to compile both 0.6.1 and a CVS version of 2005-02-06. Both
compile without problem, but then fail to execute a Windows 95B (freezes
while trying to install boot code on harddisk) or Windows 98SE installation
(installed system does not come up after final reboot, each time slightly
different). Both Windows are German versions.

It should be noticed that it IS possible to get the emulated system up by
playing with some parameters (e.g. give -std-vga on command line, use Win safe
mode), but none of these ways does work reliably. You have a chance of
approx. 1/4 to 1/3.

Maybe you have got an idea. There are reports which show that Qemu once worked
with these OS', so it's an interesting question why it doesn't now...

Kind regards
k.j.

ps. I am not subscribed to the ML, please when replying, cc: me.