qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ARM: Adding Maverick FPU support

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ARM: Adding Maverick FPU support
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 13:32:04 +0100

Paul Brook wrote:
On Friday 04 February 2005 19:08, Jason McMullan wrote:

So, I'm working on an emulation environment for the Cirrus Logic EP93xx
processors with the Maverick Crunch(tm) FPUs.

What files do I need to touch to add support for these instructions?

At minimum target-arm/op.c, target-arm/translate.c, and target-arm/cpu.h.

Note that that FPA is implemented differently. I uses the same emulator as the linux kernel, hooked up to the undefined instruction interrupt. I wouldn't advise doing this as performance is really awful. It's approximately 2x slower than target soft-float, and I guess about 20x slower than a native implementation.

Just to give more information, the idea was not to integrate the FPA emulation in the CPU itself because I believed it was mostly implemented as a software FPU. The real directory of FPA should be qemu/linux-user/arm/nwfpe and _not_ qemu/target-arm/nwfpe. I left it in target-arm because of the CVS legacy...

Now if real ARM FPUs are implemented, I agree they should go in op.c and translate.c (an helper.c can be added too). There must be a way to disable it so that the exact emulated ARM CPU core can be selected with a command line option.

Fabrice.