qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] The QEMU Accelerator Module

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] The QEMU Accelerator Module
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:02:03 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Tom Marble wrote:

> I'd like to make an appeal that KQEMU be licensed under the GPL.

Me, too. But not without compensation for the wonderful work of Fabrice!
It is just plain wrong to ask anybody to work for free. I personally know
programmers who get paid a lot of money, but their work is just a POC.

Fabrice, to the contrary, came up with a very usable *and* elegant
program. Everybody who benefitted from his work should be content with
what license he chose IMHO (the "Put up or shut up" principle).

Having said that, I think that it might be a good idea if the readers of
this list decide on a target company, and hit them with polite requests.

Target companies I suggest:

        - IBM (they should be very much interested in using QEmu on their
                new Cell processors; imagine that: a processor which is
                10x faster than Pentium natively, with a great emulator
                like QEmu => still faster than Pentium!)
        - Novell (just because they do great work, and are great sponsors)
        - RedHat (just because they are the best known Linux company)

Of course, sponsorship always has its downsides, too, but I think that
Fabrice has well earned some big bucks for this great project!

Just them noo 2 Eurocents of yours truly,
Dscho