qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] The QEMU Accelerator Module

From: Lionel Ulmer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] The QEMU Accelerator Module
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 14:44:57 +0100

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 01:05:12PM +0100, Karel Gardas wrote:
> It was my impression that if you like to have SuSE distro with CrossOver,
> you have to buy some kind of SuSE product/cd/dvd instead of just do plain
> ftp install. From this I've wrongly assumed that CrossOver is proprietary,
> sorry for that mistake and thanks for the clarification.

Well, this is the 'packaging' deal I was talking about (some SuSE
distributions came with CrossOver installed natively).

As for the proprietariness (?) of CrossOver, the 'core' of it (i.e. Wine) is
a modified version of Wine (so you can get the source for it as it is
LGPL'ed) but all the 'glue' around it (configuration file creation, pretty
UI to install application, desktop integration, ...) *is* closed source.

I was just reacting to your 'wholly' in your sentence as it's only 'partly'
closed source (a bit like QMEU actually :-) ).

And as they actually sell CrossOver (plus support / porting contracts) I did
not see this as 'sponsoring' (although for a Wine user / developper like me,
it looks like it as a LOT of patches to the Wine tree come from their
employees).

     Lionel

--
                 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/