qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] image size - OS reports 720mb, but image file is 2.3 gig

From: Joe Bogner
Subject: [Qemu-devel] image size - OS reports 720mb, but image file is 2.3 gig
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:18:53 -0500

Hello,

I'm trying to create an win2k image that is as small as possible. I'd
like to be able to copy the image back and forth between machines so
that I have a complete win2k development image.

According to win2k, the size is about 720mb. Originally win2k was
reporting the size to be about 1.2gig, but I was able to reduce it
through NTFS compression.

Here's the dilemna. The physical image file is 2.3gig. I've run a
qemu-img convert -f qcow <input> -O qcow <output>, which took the
original 4.5 gig image down to 2.3 gig. With qemu-img compression, I
was able to get it down to 1.7gig.

Why is there such a large discrepency between what win2k reports and
the physical image file on disk? Is there anything else I can do to
reduce it, aside from compressing the physical image file?

1.7 gig is still quite a bit to be shuffling around between machines.

Thanks,
Joe