qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] FreeOSZoo will stop March 1, 2005

From: James Mastros
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] FreeOSZoo will stop March 1, 2005
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 05:42:39 +0100

Jim C. Brown wrote:
1) There are those that use qemu without giving Fabrice any money or credit
(such as iEmulator). This is best resolved by legal action, but it may be
difficult for a single person to fight against an entire company,
financial-wise.
If this is the reason, and I think it is part of it, then it is a bad reason.

a) iEmulator wouldn't use kqemu anyway. kqemu is for running x86-on-x86. iEmulator is for x86-on-PowerPC. Thus, the iEmulator people aren't loosing anything.

b) A far more effective way would be to first verify that they are actually breaking the GPL -- when you purchase iEmulator, do they give you a copy of the qemu source with it? Are you given all rights to the qemu source you get as you would under the GPL? Do they link code licensed GPL-incompatabiliy with qemu code?

If iEmulator is not breaking the GPL, then put the code into the qemu CVS. If they are, then start making quiet threats. If they don't open up, then talk to GNU, http://www.softwarefreedom.org/. If they still don't, then it's time to make loud threats -- post to /., etc.

Don't punish everybody because a few folks aren't playing by the rules.

2) Fabrice wants to hold on to the source in order to make revenue from it in
the future.
This is really a much more reasonable position, but if this is his position, he should probably state what it would take to open the current source for kqemu, and set up a way to take donations for the fund. If he gets to his target, then do it again when he's ready to make the next big leap forward -- assuming, that is, that it isn't based upon GPL code from other parties. (There's nothing illegal about basing it on your own GPL'd code.)

Since he hasn't responded to any of the several attempts to give him money, I rather doubt money is his primary concern, but rather respect and credit, which I can certainly understand -- but making kqemu closed-source isn't a good way to cause this to happen.

Despite this, I will probably be making several code contributions to qemu in the nearish future. (PC speaker support, and possibly faster graphics code.) I probably won't be contributing money, as it's rather tight for me -- sorry, Fabrice.

        -=- James Mastros

PS -- It isn't the case that iEmulator doesn't give qemu any credit, but I agree that they should give him much more credit. Under www-dot-iemulator-dot-com-slash-iemulator_faq.php, the third FAQ gives qemu credit -- including noting the name of "Fabrice Bellard". (URL mangled so they don't get Google PageRank off of the reference.)