qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KQEMU bus errors

From: Jonas Maebe
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KQEMU bus errors
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:13:44 +0100

On 13 feb 2005, at 10:42, Darryl Dixon wrote:

Most of the references that I can find for a Linux 'Bus error' talk about unaligned memory accesses.

Indeed. The only way I know of to get a bus error under Linux/x86 from a user space program, is to turn on the alignment check flag in the eflags register, followed by an unaligned memory access.

Usually, this is the result from a corrupted stack, causing an invalid value to be restored to the eflags register (which coincidentally has the bit corresponding to the alignment check flag set to 1).

Jonas