qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] New emulator: MIPS-user

From: J. Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] New emulator: MIPS-user
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:43:11 +0100

On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 16:19, Jason McMullan wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 15:17 +0100, J. Mayer wrote:
> > As I was reworking some parts of this code, my current version may be
> > quite broken.
> > So, I'll take a close look this week-end and send you a snapshot.
>
> Broken I can handle (my 'mips64.spec' was taken pretty much directly
>  from the manuals, so I can use it as a verification suite on your
> code).
>
> Anyway, any start you already have would be good for me, even if it's
> just a reference.

Here's a snapshot of a quite outdated version of my mips emulation. But
this version is, I think, very near from the one that did boot Linux.
This will give an idea of how I did it.
Don't care too much about the CALL_FROM_TB macros, which are not
specially related to mips emulation.

What I did since this version is mainly:
- debugging
- remove quite all #ifdef, using a features field in the CPUMIPSState
structure.
- start implementing mips16 opcodes
- try using some generic micro-ops: the goal here is not to re-implement
the same simple micro-operations for all emulated targets. This is the
patch that isn't finished and broke my code...

The hardware implemented is very simple: it's just the interrupt
controler + a serial port. I also implemented MIPS R4Kc like MMU (which,
I think, is not completely finished/debugged in this version).
I didn't make anything to emulate mipsel targets. I only did big-endian
support, but little-endian is planned and would not be very hard to add.
I can't release the BIOS I used for my tests, as it's not open-source,
but one could patch yamon and make it boot (or start booting) Linux.

Here's the diff with the current qemu CVS + a bzip'ed tarball of all new
files.

--
J. Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized