qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu and Longhorn

From: Darryl Dixon
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu and Longhorn
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 00:11:54 +1300

Well.

    I managed to get a video driver for the Cirrus 5446 installed.  I shamelessly cribbed three files: cirrus.dll, cirrus.sys, and display.inf from the Windows XP SP2 install, and managed to put up with the pain involved in getting them installed/shoehorned into Longhorn.  They work perfectly.  Which leads me to another observation: Longhorn doesn't detect Qemu's floppy drive (I mkisofs'ed the above files and inserted the pretend cd to get them onto the virtual machine).  Whether this is because there is some sort of bug that Longhorn has revealed in the floppy emulation code, or whether Longhorn simply refuses to have any truck with such obsolete legacy devices as floppy drives I don't know ;)

    The thing that I discovered that made persevering with it possible is that the stupid clock that Longhorn slaps onto the right-hand taskbar by default chews CPU cycles like they're going out of style -- it has an animated seconds hand.  I just removed that entire toolbar and suddenly everything was a *lot* quicker.  With the clock gone and the Cirrus driver installed it is now roughly 3-4x as slow as the WinXP SP2 install with the same setup.  So it's usable, just ;)  (That and it has a *lot* of bugs, which makes things worse).

    I imagine that the driver for the RTL8029 that I have posted to this list previously also works correctly in Longhorn (if one has enough patience).  Perhaps I'll try it out tomorrow...

Regards,