qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Guest page fault when running Norton Ghost

From: jeebs
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Guest page fault when running Norton Ghost
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:28:27 -0600

Using the latest Windows cvs build on FreeOSZoo (QemuInstall-20050212-pre), I
get a page fault when I try to use the dos part of Norton Ghost 2003 backup
program.  (The program does, of course, work properly under bochs, vmware, and
real hardware.)

Using a fresh just installed copy of Dos 6.22, I get

Page Fault cr2=0fffbbb0 at eip 214; flags=3283
eax=ffffab00 ebx=1a001000 ecx=00000004 edx=ffffbbb0 esi=00281cb1 edi=00001031
ebp=ffffab7f esp=00003ffc cs=af ds=b7 es=b7 fs=a7 gs=0 ss=a7 error=0004

You can reproduce the fault by downloading the Ghost update from Symantec at:

http://liveupdate.symantec.com/ng2003b793_en.x86

unizpping it (it's just a zip file), and extract ghost.exe.  (That executable
is the key disk backup program.  Everything else in the Ghost 2003 distro is
just Windows gui and stuff.)

Copy it to your DOS qemu disk and try to execute 'ghost'.

The error occurs regardless whether I run it from DOS 6.22, or an genuine Ghost
boot floppy.

I haven't tried it under the latest FreeDOS image, but it should give a similar
error.  (Guess I need to download the latest ISO of it.)  (Hmm... ghost wont
run.  And the freedos mouse driver and the help command seem to lock up the
system.  Don't know if that's qemu related or not.)