qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] FreeOSZoo will stop March 1, 2005

From: Elefterios Stamatogiannakis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] FreeOSZoo will stop March 1, 2005
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:05:57 +0200

 I prefer to stay out of threads like this, but (see below)

John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
Fabrice,

I've followed this project for a while, and though I'm not surprised the
zealots are coming out of the woodwork, I am surprised by the vehemence
of some of the long time users.

Your use of words like "zealots" and "woodwork" reminds me of trolls. These words are certainly not used in a civilized conversation. Keep in mind that some of the "zealots" have put a lot of work on qemu. I'm not going to address the rest of your mail. I find it insulting (conspiracy theories?).

 I'll just put my 2 cents.

 First the problem:
Other people take qemu and make money on it with little to no benefit to the people that created it - advanced it.

 Solutions:
1. Fabrice's way. Make a part of it proprietary.
Pros::
(Fabrice) When some company wants to sell this highly beneficial module they have to pay him.

Cons::
(Fabrice): Otherwise HE has to sue them.
(community): It divides the community.

2. Pure GPL it.
Pros::
(community): That way when some company wants to sell this highly beneficial module they have to give the changes (if any) back to the community. (community): Otherwise contact FSF and it will sue them. The community protects us.
(community): It doesn't divide the community.

Cons::
(Fabrice): No immediate monetary benefit.

3. Double license it.
 Both of the above apply.

Personally i would prefer 2 or 3. They benefit the community more. Nevertheless fabrice has the right to do what is best for him. I don't have hard feelings about that. I also understand people like Jean-Michel Poure (a little kneejerk reaction but i'm ok with it).