qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Experiences installing Win98 on WinXP host.

From: jeebs
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Experiences installing Win98 on WinXP host.
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:58:58 -0600

From: "Darryl Dixon" <address@hidden>

> Whilst I disagree with your conclusion (Qemu not ready for use!?!), what

I couldn't get Win98, Win98se, WinME or WinXP installed and running.  If I got
pass the cd change problem, then I'd get a blue screen later.

If I could get something other than DOS installed and working, then I might
agree with you...

To me, it's not ready for use.    As I tried to stress, maybe it's a problem
with the daily windows builds on FreeOSZoo.  Maybe the regular qemu version
works fine.  I don't know.

I just know I tried 4 cvs versions (two were picked at random) and I couldn't
get Windows installed.

I haven't tried every version of qemu posted, so I don't know when the problem
first showed up, or if it's been there the whole time and I just somehow didn't
notice.  (I might have used a 'combined' cd with Windows and Win3 for
compliance, so I didn't need to change the cd.  And maybe I used some runtime
option that somehow changed things enough that allowed Windows 98 to install.
Or maybe...[shrug])

> you mention about the CD is valid and a real problem.  I haven't seen
> Qemu crash because

This happened 3 times.  After the first time, I tried it again with Win98, and
then did it with Win98se too.

> of it, but in every Windows guest OS I've tried (Win98se, WinXP,
> Win2000, Win2003, Longhorn) you actually need to go into Explorer in the
> guest and tell it to eject
> the CDROM (right-click -> eject) and then do the eject from the Qemu

Most of the time, I only did a "change" command to change the cdrom image.

But I did try 'eject' first, and then do a 'change' and that didn't help either.

(I know that's not quite what you were talking about, but I thought it worth
mentioning.)

So there's definetly a problem during the install.  And from what you say, even
when you get the OS installed, there's still a problem.

I don't know why nobody else has mentioned it.  (If they have, then I haven't
seen it.)  I don't know if this is a Windows build problem or if the Linux
versions have it too.

Again, I don't know if this is a regular qemu problem, or if it's a Windows cvs
build problem, or what.