qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Donation model for opening the accelerator?

From: John Wells
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Donation model for opening the accelerator?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:54:48 -0500

Brad Campbell <address@hidden> said:

Regarding lost compensation in the event of missing the goal, I for one would be
happy to mark it up to contributing in general, but I do see your point.

Now, I have been using software that Fabrice wrote dating back to lzexe (which was just the ducks nuts for a poor student with a small hard disk), and I'd be happy to chuck some dosh his way any day of the week, but if asking for community sponsorship is going to defeat the goal of attaining
commercial sponsorship then I can go with that too.

Absolutely...I totally agree.

Seriously, as a company would you talk about stumping up the clams required to open a product if you
knew the community was going to do it for you?

My fear is not that a commercial entity will provide the necessary funding to
open source the accelerator...that would be ideal.  My fear is that a
commercial entity will attempt to pay to *keep* the project closed source,
and/or to make the accelerator non-free.

And, I really think Qemu has the potential to be one of the last pieces in the
Linux desktop puzzle...it allows users who would otherwise be unable to switch
(the 80/20 rules) from Windows to Linux to make the jump.

Anyway, either way I'm happy and hope Fabrice gets the compensation he deserves.

John