qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Experiences installing Win98 on WinXP host.

From: jeebs
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Experiences installing Win98 on WinXP host.
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 10:34:49 -0600

From: "Jim C. Brown" <address@hidden>

> Evidently, we don't have enough qemu-win32 users or developers, if it takes us
> this long to hear that the build is broken. :/

That has crossed my mind, too...

However, it's still possible that:

1) It's a relatively recent break in the cvs windows builds.

2) Most of the windows users are trying to run Linux, rather than Windows.  (I
haven't tried linux on qemu lately.)

3) Maybe I'm using some run option they aren't.  Or I'm not using one that they
are.  (Although admittedly I've kept my options pretty simple.  localtime,
dummy-net, and a few times the audio option.... So there aren't many for me to
remove.)

>From what I've heard recently, the cdrom change problem has been around a long
>time and is fairly well known and hasn't been fixed.

It's possible the rest of the problems is more during the installation, and
that already installed images work okay.  Meaning qemu might be working okay on
the disk images they already have, and they haven't bothered to try and install
it because the don't need to.

> from source and they only run linux guests. (I am curious why someone would
> want to run Windows inside of Windows. Are you being a very thorough beta
> tester
> (which we need), or do you actually have use of such a configuration?)

I was beta testing, yes.  (I'm also currently a beta tester of VMWare 5.
Although I gotta admit I did more testing back when it was beta and rc1 than I
have now with rc2.)  That's why I've tried several versions of dos and windows
etc.

But I was also going to keep Win98 and use it.

Yes, I do like to run the occasional Windows in Windows.  As a way to safely
test programs, or run a different version, or experiment with various ideas
etc. without having to make changes to my existing setup.  And a few other
reasons occasionally.

To me, there are plenty of reasons to occasionally use another copy of Windows.

> Just curious, have you tried running a Linux guest on these builds? If so,
> what
> was the result?

Not lately.

In fact, this has been my first usage of qemu in months.

I've got linux installed under vmware, but I haven't bothered to do that with
qemu.

At the time I was actually going to try to use a clean copy of Win98, and that
has taken a lot longer than I thought. [grimace]