qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Note on kqemu for Win4Lin users.

From: Brad Campbell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Note on kqemu for Win4Lin users.
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 09:02:30 +0400

Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
Dear List,

This small note to help users of Win4Lin trying to use QEMU with kqemu : either mki-adapter or Win4Lin (device drivers used by Win4Lin) probably uses major 250, hence prohibiting use of kqemu.ko. A temporary fix is to unload them (/etc/rc.d/init.d/Win4Lin stop). After that, qemu uses kqemu (no more "incompatible kernel" message), and works like a charm.

The real problem is win4lin uses devices 244-253. I put keqmu at 239 and
happily use both together

I have not yet done real tests, but my first impression is that the real fix to the drivers problem is to drop Win4Lin entierely : QEMU with kqemu seems a better solution (may even be faster, at first sight) to my needs...

win4lin running win95->winme is much, much faster than qemu running either those, or win2k. Horses for courses of course, but for my day to day stuff I can do on WinMe, it's just bucketloads quicker.
So kqemu is not faster by a very long way. Shame, but I'm sure it will improve
over time.

bklaptop:~>cat /proc/devices
Character devices:
  1 mem