qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: VNC patch

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: VNC patch
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 22:45:59 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, ecs user wrote:

> When using the VNC patch, does QEMU still need the SDL
> graphics package to be installed on the Linux host?

No. However, if you have SDL, you can use both SDL and VNC on the same
QEmu instance, which is Cool(tm).

> Is the VNC code based on VNC 4.0 which has the local
> cursor support?

It is not based on VNC 4.0. However, local cursor support is a feature
introduced in TightVNC, which was also put into LibVNCServer, which is
used to export QEmu's display via VNC. However, as QEmu does not know what
constitutes a cursor, and where this cursor might be, but instead has a
plain framebuffer, the local cursor feature is not used. This would need a
guest driver, which is why I didn't do it (there are so many more
interesting guest OSes than just a certain Windows version).

Hth,
Dscho