qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Any progress with fixing Windows on Windows builds?

From: jeebs
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Any progress with fixing Windows on Windows builds?
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:28:06 -0600

I've been gone for a few weeks and I was wondering if there had been any
progress in fixing the Windows on Windows problems.

Problems like:

1) unable to reliably change the cd image during windows install, meaning
unable to verify upgrade install.

2) Windows installation itself giving a blue screen.

And so on.

I did a very quick check with the 20050313a windows build from FreeOSZoo, and
it doesn't look like anything has been fixed.  (I certainly didn't do as much
testing as I did some weeks ago when I commented in here about the problems.)

Is anybody even investigating these problems?

Currently Qemu is pretty useless for windows host users....  Even freeDOS &
Dr.DOS don't even really run right.  MSDOS 6 seems to, but I didn't do enough
testing back then to be sure.

Considering that supposedly Windows (and all these other OS's) can install
under Qemu running on Linux, then I would tend to suspect that it might be some
Windows specific code in qemu that's the problem.  Or maybe the compiler.  Or
maybe sdl....

I don't know enough about qemu to really know for sure, though.

Maybe you Linux developers need to install Windows (perhaps under vmware, if
you don't have a spare partition?) and start doing a bit of testing of the
windows builds.