qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu problem (you might be my last resort)

From: Robin Pfeifer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu problem (you might be my last resort)
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:01:04 +0100

I have changed my subscription address as no post of this thread made it through the damn spam guard of my provider's. Maybe I shouldn't have used 'last resort' in the topic line...

Anyway:

Jim C. Brown wrote:

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 10:10:16AM +0100, Robin Pfeifer wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 09:06:22PM +0100, Robin Pfeifer wrote:
> >> When I start qemu with the following command:
> >>
> >> qemu -cdrom /dev/cdrom -boot d -snapshot -m 256
> >>
> >> with any bootable CD in the drive, I only get a qemu window with the
> >> tile 'qemu stopped'. I cannot get into the monitor by pressing ctrl +
> >> alt + 2 or do anything else except ctrl + c in the terminal where I
> >> started qemu to cancel it.
>

> Out of curiosity, does it work if you use an iso image instead of
> /dev/cdrom?

No, it doesn't, the same error appears.

> If you "-boot a" from a floppy disk image, will that work or does it have the > same error? (You can download a FreeDOS boot disk if u don't have a way to
> get a bootable floppy disk image).

That's very strange, booting from a floppy works.

> >> The command used to work perfectly with various versions of qemu, but
> >> now doesn't anymore. I've tried CVS versions after 0.6.1 stopped
> >> working, but to no avail.
> >>

> Does using older versions of qemu work? (Sorry if I'm asking questions > that
> you have already answered but I don't remember the original email).

I haven't tried older versions than 0.6.1, but that used to work before I tried -m 350. Then I upgraded my RAM, tried the new parameter, and that was it. I also tried removing the RAM again, in case there was something wrong with it, but that didn't change anything.

Stefan Kisdaroczi wrote:

> Did you try to set "-L" ?
> -L path  // set the directory for the BIOS and VGA BIOS

No, I didn't try that. This parameter isn't in the qemu manpage, is it? What am I supposed to use as directory?

Robin