qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cannot start windows xp

From: Michael McConnell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cannot start windows xp
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:46:46 +0000

Ashish Naik wrote:
Hi,

I installed windows xp without any problem. However, xp doesnot start and the message is ‘Disk Error press any key to restart’. What could be the reason?

I ran into this with WinNT4, trying to use disc images bigger than 1023/16/63 (504Mb).

My workaround to this has to always specify the -hdachs settings, in my case 4092/16/63 for a nearly 2Gb disc.

With a completely blank disc image, its internals returned 4092/16/63, but after partitioning and formatting, it used 1023/64/63, which clashed with the old settings which were used at the time of writing the boot sector.

To confuse the issue further, specifying -hdachs 1023/64/63 caused the NT installer to freeze for a bit, then claim the disc was unusable...

--
-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
Eridani MailStripper - http://mailstripper.eridani.co.uk - Uncovers Everything!