qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Developer-to-user communication

From: Oliver Gerlich
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Developer-to-user communication
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:41:32 +0100

Hi,
as Qemu gets more widespread (ok, less narrowspread :) there should be
better communication between developers and end users. Qemu is already
usable, but the lack of support probably frightens off many potential
users. I don't know how many developers also read the dad-answers.com
forum but I think there are many help requests in the forum which are
also interesting for developers.

So, here are some ideas on how to improve this:
-There should be a bigger FAQ which answers also questions from the
forum; and it should also list the frequently mentioned known bugs.
-Some kind of bug tracking site / bug list would also be useful so users
can better see current development status.
-A list of unofficial patches etc. would be nice. There are several
sites with patches which solve some of the problems in the forum, but
they are difficult to find, especially for simple users ;)
-How about a Qemu Wiki? There is a qemu-related Wiki page at
http://am.xs4all.nl/phpwiki/index.php/Qemu , but it's not in good shape
and the whole Wiki is not really Qemu specific. A Wiki could help to
offload some "public relations" work from the main developers.

Some of these ideas are already realised in the mentioned Wiki, but that
site is quite unknown. I think we should concentrate these things on the
Qemu home page or a closely related site.
Does anyone have web space, time etc. to realise these ideas?

Opinions? Ideas? Improvements? Please tell me what you think about this!

Oliver Gerlich