qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Joystick, gameport, midi, PC speaker and better sound c

From: malc
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Joystick, gameport, midi, PC speaker and better sound cards support
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 01:24:24 +0300 (MSK)

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 address@hidden wrote:

malc wrote:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 address@hidden wrote:

<snip>

http://www.synchrondata.com/pheaven/www/area25.htm
http://www.synchrondata.com/pheaven2/www/area28.htm
these two pages had some links to a lot of dos sound code
some of it could probably be used to improve the sb16-compatible emulated
card (which works fine except for missing pnp and not understanding some
operations dos games used to use to auto-detect the card)
the code contained there is supposed to have moved to
http://www.programmersheaven.com/

What games exactly?

in windows the sound does work fine
it worked on the first tried after I manually set the irq from 7 to 5 , same thing with both windows 98 and windows 2000 I could probably get sound for some of these games running them in windows 2000 with VDMsound

so far I have tried

aces of the pacific

when you run the setup you have each choice and the auto-detected ones have a check mark next to them
only the pc speaker has one (but there's no sound coming out)

Sound works just fine.

when the setup program launch , qemu complain about the 0xe0,1 not being understood yet
(4 times and there are 4 support sound card types
Roland MT-32 MT-100 LAPC-I CM-32L or CM-64
SoundBlaster / AdLib Card (or compatibles)
Tandy 3 voice
IBM PS/1 Audio/Joystick Card)

my guess is that this 0xe0,1 command is pretty important if all these card types can be detected and distinguished with it maybe other commands are run after it but this install program just gives up after this first command

this game also uses the joystick
(I have 624k conventional memory so the program run fine and at exactly the right speed (as opposed to plain dos on this same machine , too fast))

blake stone (based on wolfenstein 3d, wolf3d has excellent autodetection capabilities , this is my experience with it in the past on very varied machines)

this game comes with a SETBLAST.EXE program that is used to set the BLAST variable that a lot of games use to set the io/irq/dma this program also include autodetection but is does not trigger any "command not understood" message , also the program claims there is no card on 220/5/1

black stone itself has an in-game menu for setting the sound , starting the game does not trigger any "command not understood" message , but the game
doesn't give any other choice than the pc speaker

I couldn't find this one on abandonware sites.

Alone in the dark
when launching this game you always start in the configuration menu then the game itself when I try to configure , first it ask for the FM music card typebut all the choices are "grayed out" you press any key and it ask for the sound effect card type and only the pc speaker is available
does not trigger "command not understood" message

Sound selection(and sound as such) works just fine.

X-Wing (original version not the CD version)
the installer does not have any restriction on the card type and doesn't appear to have card type detection routines
you just choose the card type and launch the game
unfortunately there is no sound , also no "command not understood" message
there is probably some auto-detection routine running at game launch however

Havent found it.

I have no mouth and I must scream
I have never played that game , ever
when I start it the windows enlarge too 1280x1024 and fill with some garbage , but it's mostly white , in the garbage I can barely make some full motion video being repeated a few times there are no sound nor any "command not understood" message , this game is not playable (the only one so far)

that's the games I had in my dos image

I have a lot more of them in my collection , I just need to copy them to my harddrive then I can give you a more detailed report

also I suppose there is some special console I could use to monitor the auto-detection routines , maybe that could be helpful

if there is any specific test you want me to perform just ask , I'll post again later with more reports

Rules for sound to work in dos:
configure with -enable-adlib (without this FM will not be available)
run with -enable-audio
have SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 T6 in autoexec.bat

--
mailto:address@hidden