qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Open Hack'Ware 0.4 release candidate

From: Natalia Portillo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Open Hack'Ware 0.4 release candidate
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:43:51 +0000

Hi!

What you say about the BeOS:

The BeOS kernel isn't in the ISO part of the CD-ROM, but in the Big
Endian BeFS part of it.

I did not say the kernel was in the El-Torito image.
I just said the CDROMs I got contain ISO filesystems.
It should have three tracks, one in HFS/ISO with El-Torito, one in little endian BeFS (BeOS/x86) and one in big endian BeFS (BeOS/PPC),
if not, the CD is incorrect.

The BeBox firmware understand this system and loads the PEFF kernel as
I commented you a time ago.
The BeOS Loader for MacOS seems to load the kernel from the BeFS also
and then let control to it removing MacOS from memory.

I though I remembered booting directly BeOS CDROM on a Mac, but I may be
wrong on this point...
I don't think you got that, as the zbeos in the ISO/HFS partition seems to be a x86 executable (I should see this in more detail), and OF doesn't recognize BeFS.

For getting BeOS compatibility there are two ways:
First of all, emulate a BeBox. This shouldn't be a very hard way, as
the BeBox is simply a PReP machine with a lot of chips (SCSI, UARTs,
etc) and with an specific BIOS (I think, not similar to OpenFirmware at
any point).
Second of all, see how the BeOS Loader loads the kernel in a MacOS. The loader don't like at all the software ROM, and probably ignores totally
OpenFirmware and relies to ToolBox to get loaded and then do hardware
probes (it does directly SCSI commands to load the system on a real
Macintosh.)

For now, I'm not in a hurry to see BeOS booting...
I just made a try and saw that it failed. Moreover, I think it would
only boot on OldWorld Macs, that are not supported in qemu.
Yes, it will only boot on OldWorld, but also on BeBox (that are PReP machines).
There is one person interested on emulating a BeBox.
Do you think will be easy to add BeFS support to OHW using OpenBeOS or Linux's BeFS code?

About Windows NT did you get the kernel to load?
I have also 3.5 and 3.51 so I can help you also in this.

About Pegasos and MorphOS did you pass ago the UART check we had
problems before?

I did not tried hard to make MorphOs and NT boot in qemu.
My first goals are to have all Linux kernel booting, then all BSD
(including MacOS X).
Feel free to make tries and add a new hardware target for Pegasos or
make NT boot.

You know I offer my help for anything, and I have know more spare time
than before.

If you'd like to make NT and/or MorphOs boot in qemu, I can give you
support and add what's needed in OHW. It would be great if it works, but
it's not my priorities, there's still a lot of work to do before
qemu-PPC / OHW can reasonably be considered as "production-ready"
software for the end user.
Please do it, and if you can send me a binary qemu from the lastest CVS will be great. I think NT should boot with only the support for the executable format, at least to a point that shows anything interesting on screen (surely a big blue screen of death xD). MorphOS SHOULD work if we mix the qemu's PC emulation with OHW and PowerPC cpu, as Pegasos is a standard PC motherboard with an OF clone and a PowerPC G3/G4 chip.

If anyone in the list is interested on investing for Pegasos emulation I have a Pegasos board that only needs Registered PC-133 SDRAM and an ATX power supply to boot, and when booted, we can extract the fully hardware map and OF tree.

Regards