qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Open Hack'Ware 0.4 release candidate

From: Natalia Portillo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Open Hack'Ware 0.4 release candidate
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:27:37 +0000

Hi!

What you say about the BeOS:

The BeOS kernel isn't in the ISO part of the CD-ROM, but in the Big
Endian BeFS part of it.

I did not say the kernel was in the El-Torito image.
I just said the CDROMs I got contain ISO filesystems.
It should have three tracks, one in HFS/ISO with El-Torito, one in
little endian BeFS (BeOS/x86) and one in big endian BeFS (BeOS/PPC),
if not, the CD is incorrect.

Seems that it depends on which CDROMs. I have some BeOS ones that really
don't look this way.
Ok but surely they are x86 only

Right. The El-torito image I checked is for x86.

For getting BeOS compatibility there are two ways:
First of all, emulate a BeBox. This shouldn't be a very hard way, as
the BeBox is simply a PReP machine with a lot of chips (SCSI, UARTs,
etc) and with an specific BIOS (I think, not similar to OpenFirmware
at
any point).
Second of all, see how the BeOS Loader loads the kernel in a MacOS.
The
loader don't like at all the software ROM, and probably ignores
totally
OpenFirmware and relies to ToolBox to get loaded and then do hardware
probes (it does directly SCSI commands to load the system on a real
Macintosh.)

For now, I'm not in a hurry to see BeOS booting...
I just made a try and saw that it failed. Moreover, I think it would
only boot on OldWorld Macs, that are not supported in qemu.
Yes, it will only boot on OldWorld, but also on BeBox (that are PReP
machines).
There is one person interested on emulating a BeBox.
Do you think will be easy to add BeFS support to OHW using OpenBeOS or
Linux's BeFS code?

It seems BeFS is not well documented. There was a BeFS project for Linux
but it seems that it has been stopped (no activity for a few years) and
was never integrated into standard kernels.
If BeBox is just a PREP machine, the first step to emulate it would be
to try to boot the BeOS kernel using Qemu PREP target with -kernel
argument.
Then, we may don't need any BeFS emulation to start it.
Uh, as far as I know the BeFS filesystem for Linux is in the kernel ^o)
You can download a fully explanation of the BeFS from Dominic Giampaolo's webpage (the designer of BeFS). Also the OpenBeOS project has a working filesystem driver (at least readonly)

Without that in OHW or a BeOS/PPC compatible machine I'm not able to extract the kernel (the drivers I said are for little endian BeFS and not for big endian one)

I think NT should boot with only the support for the executable format, at least to a point that shows anything interesting on screen (surely a
big blue screen of death xD).

Well, I'd have to merge the code I got for NT XCOFF loading, then and
retry...
Say me

MorphOS SHOULD work if we mix the qemu's PC emulation with OHW and
PowerPC cpu, as Pegasos is a standard PC motherboard with an OF clone
and a PowerPC G3/G4 chip.

Then, it's exactly what a PREP board is...
So, a few modifications from PREP target (mostly base addresses, I
guess) should be OK.
The qemu prep emulation currently emulates the serial controller?
Remember that we debugged the mos kernel and find that it was trying to access a non implemented command in the rs232 controller