qemu-devel

APM bug Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Suggestion - trap window-close of VM

From: Struan Bartlett
Subject: APM bug Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Suggestion - trap window-close of VM
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:21:56 +0200

Paul Brook wrote:

This isn't working quite right for me with a Windows 98 guest -- it
traps the attempt to close the window all right, but it doesn't let
the window close even when Window 98 has in fact shut down.
In theory windows should be able to "turn off" qemu using APM, like it does on real machines. However there seem to be bugs in the qemu implementation that stop this working.
I thought I'd have a little look into why Windows 2000 doesn't turn off qemu using APM properly. I enabled DEBUG_BIOS in hw/pc.c then downloaded the latest Debian source for the Bochs bios v1.121 and defined DEBUG_ROMBIOS and DEBUG_APM both to be 1. I recompiled and installed the bios and ran qemu to load up Windows 2000. What we get seems interesting. By the time Qemu boots Windows 2000 to its first progress-bar, it has printed the following debug statements (with my explanation added in square brackets):

APM: EAX=00005300 [53 is the int 15h identifier for APM checked for in rombios.c. 00 is the APM installation check function]
APM: EAX=00005301 [01 is the APM real mode interface connect]
APM: EAX=0000530e [0e appears to request APM driver version]
APM: EAX=00005300 [00, again, is the APM installation check - why is this called twice?]
APM: EAX=00005304 [04 is APM interface disconnect]

Then, while Windows 2000 boots and until shutdown is complete, I get no more debug statements. My question is, why not? I'm no APM expert but, judging from the 'apmbios.S' comments I might expect to see APM: EAX=00005303 [03 is APM 32 bit protected mode interface connect]. I could speculate that the return code from APM function 0e does not satisfy Windows 2000 for some reason, so it does another installation check and then disconnects the APM interface entirely - hence no APM functionality in Windows 2000.

If I get more time I may research the APM functions more fully. In the meantime, if anyone can suggest any alternative theories or how to test them, I'd be curious.

Struan