qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Windows 2000 SP4 (was Re: APM bug)

From: Jonas Maebe
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Windows 2000 SP4 (was Re: APM bug)
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 09:17:49 +0200

On 7 apr 2005, at 00:47, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:

Please see this before committing:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2004-12/msg00167.html
It specifically mentions that this hack is only good for installing
win2k,

Is it really a hack, or is it simply impossible in a real PC for that interrupt to be triggered so fast and does that patch fix this?

but it degrades performance, so after installing, the patch
need to be removed..

Well, there are probably a thousand ways to speed up QEMU by cutting some corners here and there, which will only break one or another program. Correctness is more important than speed, I think.

Otoh, I think the latest version of VPC has a special compatibility mode which slows down everything tremendously, but which you can turn on to install certain programs or OS'es that won't install otherwise. I don't know what it does exactly, but this is another approach which can be followed.

Jonas