qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] (1) Xcode project?, (2) adding functionality

From: Thomas Harte
Subject: [Qemu-devel] (1) Xcode project?, (2) adding functionality
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 16:06:37 GMT

I'm an 'experienced' emulator author and I have recently moved to Mac OS X.
I've never really been a UNIX user before, so I don't know GNU makefiles. In my
Microsoft past I always used some IDE or another to shield me from that stuff,
from RHide in the dim distant past to MSVC.

I would like to modify Qemu in order to add support for a few devices not
currently emulated. I'm hoping this will be as simple as informing the existing
Qemu source of my new device by editing whatever array or data structure
controls what is visible on the PCI bus and directing it to pass memory reads
and writes within a certain range to my code. However I'm having difficulty
finding my way around.

I'm becoming reasonably friendly with Apple's Xcode, so my first question is
whether anybody has bothered to compile an Xcode project for Qemu? Otherwise I
will have to seriously sit down with a guide to GNU makefiles in order to make
one myself and as I have no other general interest in them I was hoping I might
be able to skip this step. Otherwise, I guess it'll be good for me!

My second question is whether anybody has written a quick start guide for
adding new modules to the Qemu source, or indeed any sort of documentation at
all that might help me get going?

My vague aim is to attempt a 3dfx driver first (don't anybody get excited, I'll
probably fail) as the specs for that suggest it would be relatively easy to get
something that works a little going quite quickly, especially as it is a pure
rasterisation device. Give or take window sharing problems with the existing
Cirrus. Has anybody already started or attempted such a thing? I checked out
the archive and found some references implying nothing had been done last July
but that does leave an 8 month gap when someone may have done something.

-Thomas

Lycos email has now 300 Megabytes of free storage... Get it now at
mail.lycos.co.uk