qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qvm86 - datapoints

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qvm86 - datapoints
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:25:15 +0100

[CC'd the qvm86 list, please followup there]

On Monday 11 April 2005 04:06, Richard Neill wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Just to let you know a few results from my experiments with qvm86/qemu.
> (I'm using all the latest CVS versions).

Thanks.

> 1)Trivial point, but the qvm86 README omits to say that it's necessary
> to run the install.sh script to put the qvm86.ko module in the right
> place.

This should happen when you do "make install", which the README does mention.

> I also found it necessary to chmod 666 /dev/qvm86.
>
> 2)Attempting to start a WinXP image (which works unaccelerated in qemu),
> Windows refuses to start properly.
>
> 3)Attempting to start a knoppix iso, results in this error:
>       Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:03
> (which I don't understand...)

I saw this one while testing a recent patch, but then it went away. I'll check
I haven't still got local patches.

> 4)And accidentally trying to run an image as root instantly panics the
> host.

I haven't seen this. I do most of my qvm86 testing as root.

Paul