qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qvm86, kqemu and video speed

From: Thomas Steffen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qvm86, kqemu and video speed
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:42:03 +0200

On 4/13/05, Hetz Ben Hamo <address@hidden> wrote:

> Anyone thought about using XFree's Xv extension? last time I heard, it
> works with all the cards, supported well under XFree, and I think it
> will be better working rather with DGA..

Xv has its denefits, but I am not sure that it is the right tool for
the job here. Xv does hardware colorspace expansion, from the color
compression usually done in JPEG/MPEG to the RGB. This is the main
reason that it works better for video, but obviously we don't need
this (unless we want to play videos inside of QEMU).

And most graphics cards support only one Xv area, which is treated as
an overlay. That would be a serious restriction, because you could not
use Xine and QEMU together on one screen.

So I would think that DGA is the way to go first.

Thomas