qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] patches update

From: Ben Taylor
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] patches update
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 9:50:32 -0400

Hetz Ben Hamo <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have added the patch/fix that enables installing Windows 2000 (any
> version) without the disk-full problem to my patches directory
> (http://dad-answers.com/qemu/patches).
>
> It's NOT an official patch, and it is advised only to patch QEMU,
> install win2k, remove the patch, recompile, and re-install QEMU. This
> is only a temporary fix until someone will submit another patch which
> can be merged to QEMU.

I installed Win2KServer yesterday with the qemu CVS code
from a couple of days ago merged with the solaris patches,
and all I had to do was add a -hdachs 1024,16,63 (for
a 1G drive) to my startup.

This is running on Java Desktop System, kernel 2.6.5
with the kqemu accelerator module.  I initially tried
it without the -hdachs and I got the disk full error.
The only thing I changed was to add that line and
the install completed just fine.

[I'm testing the same code base on Solaris and Linux,
to ensure the Solaris patches don't bork up Linux]

The problem that I see with the normal setting of a new
fdisk table on a img file, is that it sets up just 1
head, with something like 600 sectors per cylinder and
a bunch of cylinders.

I suspect the easy fix would be to have the code that
deals with the creating of the partition use something
more reasonable like 16 or 64 heads and 63 or 255 sectors
per cylinder, and then just calculate the number of
cylinders based on those values.  However, two weeks
in to qemu hacking and I'm not quite sure where that
would be handled just yet.

Ben