qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Regarding Linux TUN/TAP

From: Hetz Ben Hamo
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Regarding Linux TUN/TAP
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:07:51 +0200

Hi Henrik, all..

Henrik, I think your patch is great and surely can help when using TUN/TAP..

However, I would like to point an issue (and I'm not criticizing
anyone here, I'm just asking for people thoughts, solutions)..

The SLiRP solution for QEMU is great if a user want to connect to the
net and browse, do some updates, etc, but it's not a good solution if
someone want to stuff like:

* Connect to host OS
* Connect to other machines in the LAN
* Use services from host OS

For the things in the list above to make them work, the solution is to
use TUN/TAP and/or VDE. These are great solutions  - but setting them
up is quite a challange for people who are nor familiar (or doesn't
have a big knowledge) with Linux.

What do people think could be a solution for end users? comments?

Thanks,
Hetz