qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] kqemu 0.6.2 and XP

From: Michael Hoeller
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] kqemu 0.6.2 and XP
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 13:13:35 +0100

Hello Ben,

I compiled with kqemu support - the version which works is the with or
without kqemu?
Just to double check, I created the virtual partition with dd of=win.img
bs=1024 seek=2000000 count=0
I am not sure to calculate the cylinders 2 000 000 / 16 / 63 = 1984,126
???

Thanks a lot
Michael

Michael Hoeller <address@hidden>

> I have compiled qemu from the cvs 2004-04-14 and kqemu. Then tried to
> install WinXP it hangs everytime after formating when it tries to copy
the
> install data.
> I have startet with qemu  -m 512 -localtime -user-net -hda
/data/winxp.img
> -cdrom /dev/cdrom -k de -boot d
> Did I missed a tricky option or is there prob?

How big is your virtual partition supposed to be? Take
that value, divide by 16 and 63 and then add
-hdachs <cylinder>,16,63 and see if that works. I'm
not using anything special (other than stuff to make
it work with Solaris), and I've gotten win98, win2k pro,
win2k server, winxp home upgrade and win 2003 to
install.  They don't always run right once I start
mucking with them, but the great thing is you can
keep a backup of the image in case you screw something
up.

This has worked for me with the cvs code, and not
including the patch that was posted today.

Ben

This e-mail (and/or attachments) is confidential and may be privileged. Use or
disclosure of it by anyone other than a designated addressee is unauthorized.
If you are not an intended recipient, please delete this e-mail from the
computer on which you received it. We thank you for notifying us immediately.